Tuesday, November 19, 2013

T is for the Capitol of Texas: Texas Legislature and Abortion.

My colleague Sasha Thomas wrote about the new abortion bill in Texas that was effective on November 2nd.  Although I'm not sure what her thoughts are about abortion set in stone, I have to plead with the "pro-choice" side of things. I think it's perfectly find to disagree with abortion because we are all entitled to our own standards of morality. However, in one perspective, abortion is a science that can prevent human life from developing, rather than viewing it as murder. I agree with the 20 week limitation because a baby is more than half way done with developing at five months old and I can see where that would be qualified as murder. I think the greater principle of abortion being illegal is the government taking away our right to CHOOSE. I think "pro-choice" doesn't necessarily mean that you agree with abortion, but that you disagree with the government making the decision for you. If abortion was completely prohibited, women who wanted to end their pregnancies would find a way to have an under-the-table procedure which could be unsanitary and lethal. The underlying message of the issue of abortion is that just because one group of people disagrees with something does not mean that all people disagree with it and there is no such thing as a uniform belief. The government definitely should not have the right to interfere a woman's decision, no matter what it may be! I witnessed Wendy Davis's filibuster live in June and I remember everyone protesting for women's rights to their own decisions and maybe one or two people in the crowd representing Pro-Life views. However, who cares about what the people care about, right? Before you know it, conservatives will likely block any possibility of abortion whatsoever, blocking a woman's ability to choose for herself. The real ethical issue shouldn't be about abortion but about the decision to choose to have one or not.

In other news, I found an interesting article comparing Texas legislature's abortion laws to Rosemary's Baby here that I thought I might share.

No comments:

Post a Comment